Benefits of Experiential Learning
Experiential learning is the process of learning through experience or learning through doing. Numerous psychologists have found that the information retention rate is much higher when learning through doing versus traditional learning styles. In this blog, we are going to outline why Experiential learning is so beneficial to information retention and how this will transform the way companies train their employees in the coming years.
Psychologist research into experiential learning
David Kolb; a pioneer in experiential learning, published his learning style model and said that
“Learning is the process whereby knowledge is created through the transformation of experience”.
Kolb’s four stage experiential learning cycle is renowned for being an ideal learning model in response to situational demands and identifies the following four components:
- Experience – involvement with the experience
- Reflection – analysing the experience
- Conceptualize – evaluating what has been learnt
- Test – implementing the skills that have been learnt
Figure 1: Kolb’s Experiential Learning Cycle
Benefits in the workplace
- Reduces risk of having un-trained staff in critical business situations
- Offers a safe environment for participants to practice relevant situations they may encounter in the future
- Allows participants to analyse their performance and implement any feedback there and then
- Ability to tailor the training experience to what the participant needs to focus on
- Increases engagement levels of participants
- Bridges the gap between theory and practice
- Participants become emotionally invested in the training as they are physically involved
- Accelerates learning as participants use a variety of skills such as problem solving and decision making
- Access to real time feedback and mentoring
How does C-Live adopt an experiential learning approach?
Our live role-play platform, C-Live, was developed on the basis of Kolb’s four stage learning cycle, allowing for experienced-based learning and reflective observation. All sessions are live and interactive, and a simulation specialist controls the avatars, giving the participant a response in real-time. This immersive platform provides an immediate and realistic response to the emotions and reactions of the participant.
Each scenario is completely bespoke to the individual and helps them master a variety of skills. All interactions can be paused or restarted giving participants the opportunity to make improvements throughout their session. Scenarios can also be played back, allowing participants to reflect upon their performance and inform decisions going forward.
To find out more about how C-Live can complement your corporate learning programmes, please get in touch.